What funding perception do you maintain that the overwhelming majority of your friends (75%+) don’t share?
In 2019, I made a decision to begin publicly answering the query above and including to it over time. You’ll be able to take a look at your complete thread here, however my current podcast with Michael Batnick and Ben Carlson touched on the identical subject so at their ‘nudging,’ I’m sharing your complete listing under too.
Apologies for offending anybody upfront!
1. Investing based mostly on dividend yield alone is a tax-inefficient and nonsensical funding technique.
See our outdated e-book, Shareholder Yield: A Higher Strategy to Dividend Investing, for more information, free obtain right here.
2. The Federal Reserve has finished job.
I publicly say on a regular basis that they need to simply peg the Fed Fund Fee to the 2-year, and my good friend Tom McClellan has chart illustrating this view…
3. Development following methods deserve a significant allocation to most portfolios.
We now have in all probability the very best pattern allocation of any RIA that I do know with our Trinity fashions, the default allocation is half!
4. A primary low price world market portfolio of ETFs will outperform the overwhelming majority of establishments over time.
See our outdated GAA e-book for more information, free obtain right here.
5. US buyers needs to be allocating a minimal of fifty% of their inventory allocation to non-US nations.
Try our submit “The Case for International Investing” for more information.
6. 13F replication is a greater strategy to investing in most long-term hedge funds than investing within the hedge funds themselves.
Make investments with the Home free e-book obtain right here.
7. So long as you will have among the major substances (world shares, bonds, actual belongings) your asset allocation doesn’t actually matter. What does matter is charges and taxes.
See our outdated GAA e-book for more information, free obtain right here. Plus, right here’s an outdated Twitter thread on the subject.
8. A easy quant display on public shares will outperform most personal fairness funds.
Be taught extra about this by listening to my previous podcast episodes with Dan Rasmussen & Jeff Hooke.
9. An inexpensive time-frame to judge a supervisor or technique is 10, possibly 20 years.
We wrote a paper on this subject, you’ll be able to learn it right here.
10. I don’t really feel like I’ve to have an opinion on Telsa inventory.
Though I’ve shared my opinion with Elon on different subjects earlier than (learn here)
11. A passive index is just not the identical factor as a market cap index (anymore).
12. Monetary advisors and asset managers are 4x leveraged the inventory market, and will/ought to hedge that publicity….and even personal no US shares!
Learn our longer submit on the subject right here.
13. Most endowments and pensions could be higher off firing their employees and shifting to a scientific portfolio of ETFs.
You needed to know I wrote a weblog submit about this, proper? CalPERS lastly instructed me they gained’t rent me to do that. I attempted…
14. Everybody likes to complain about manipulation, THE FED, r/wsb, yadda yadda… Markets are functioning as they at all times have. Which is, usually. Brief squeeze? Yawn, been occurring ceaselessly.
Jamie Catherwood had a terrific post on the historical past of brief squeezes.
15. Excessive inventory market valuations should not justified by low rates of interest.
Learn my submit about this from January 2021 right here.
16. A worldwide diversified portfolio of belongings is *much less dangerous* than placing your secure cash in brief time period bonds or payments.
This is without doubt one of the subjects coated in The Keep Wealthy Portfolio submit.
17. The CAPE Ratio is a helpful indicator and issue.
Right here’s my FAQ with the whole lot it is advisable know in regards to the CAPE Ratio.
18. It doesn’t have an effect on your funding consequence in the event you personal US shares. You possibly can personal 0% and do exactly tremendous.
Right here’s my tweet about this with the chart under.
19. A portfolio of sovereign bonds weighted by yield is superior to at least one weighted by market cap and whole debt issuance.
Learn our white paper on this right here.
20. Placing your whole cash into one asset, just like the S&P500, is just not “boring”.
… to be continued …
Am I overestimating how a lot I disagree with others? What are beliefs you disagree along with your friends on? Be happy to answer to the unique thread here.